Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do you punish your teenagers? Seriously! Only Parents of Teens Please!?

I am talking younger teenagers, 13 and 15, NOT like 17 and 18. I only mean younger teens! Be for real not what you think others want to hear, be honest!How do you punish your teenagers? Seriously! Only Parents of Teens Please!?
Well, I think it depends on what the children have done. You have to let the punishment fit the crime.


Examples of my former punishments are:





1 Bad-mouthed one of the middle school teachers. Grounded from everything for 2 weeks.





2 Told me she was too busy to clean her room and wasn't going to do it: Sleepover canceled.





3 After being asked numerous times to turn off the gameboy and finish homework with little result: No school Dance Friday and Gameboy disappeared.





4 Being mean to kid in pool: No more trips to the pool for 2 wks.





5 Caught talking badly about another person: No electronics for 2 wks. and constant reminder that we don't talk that way - ever.





It just really depends on what's going on, I think. Sometimes, certain things work while others don't. It depends on your kids, and what they like to do, what you can take away...and what they're doing to deserve the punishment. Keep in mind though, that sometimes you have to pick your battles. If it's an arguement between siblings, they will genereally work it out without parental involvement. But if it comes to the point where you have to get involved, do so in a fair manner, and make sure no one is getting off easier than the other - unless of course one is obviously at fault. Just do what you think is right for the situation at hand.How do you punish your teenagers? Seriously! Only Parents of Teens Please!?
ground them from the phone


going outside


tv
The best way to punish them take away EVERYTHING that they enjoy doing and do it for at least a week it depends on what they have done but DONT give in cause if u do then they know they can get away with it again
My daughter is 12. I make her read....I take away the cell, the internet, the stereo, ipod and tv.
I have an eleven year old (almost 12) and the punishment will be different depending on what warrented it. Here are just a few things:


1. Take away the cell phone for one week.


2. Door taken off the hinges to the room.


3. Grounded. No phone, no sleepovers, and no allowence.


4. Canceled a plan activity.


No matter what the punishment is you are dealing with a preteen and if they say ';you are unfair, mean, or worse parent';. That only means that you picked the correct punishment.
u should hit themwith a belt or somethin do watever seriously parents these days r punks i swear
for what give wat they doid why r they getting punished
Definitely take away priviledges. For example, T.V. or something that really would bum them out that they can't live without. Grounding also might help. My teen gets so mad when I take her T.V. away for a couple of days because she misses her favorite show. Also, I remove phone priviledges. It works for me.
it depends on what they do to get in trouble
My parents used to ground me electronically. I couldn't watch TV, use the phone, use the computer (unless it was for a paper I had to write - in which case my mother sat behind me the whole time), etc. Losing contact with the outside world is awful for a young teen. Also, it depends on what you're punishing them for. If their actions could lead them to legal trouble later, arrange for a prison tour (if you have one nearby). That'll scare their pants off. If they're already being promiscuous, make them take care of an egg for a week so they can somewhat see what it's like to take care of an accidental baby. Or, see if your local hospital has any STD classes. If they're talking back to you, ground them from any communication with anyone other than you (other than at school). You have to be creative with young teenagers. They're usually very hands-on and don't really understand something until they're in the middle of it. My in-laws made my sister-in-law write a 3 page paper about the importance of telling your parents where you are going to be (after being caught somewhere she shouldn't have been). I know teenagers are tough, but the more creative you are with their punishments, the more likely they are to remember those consequences you created in future situations. Good luck!
I'm 15. and what did your young teen do to get themselves into trouble?


cellphone,sex,drugs,party's,lying? i say a good grounding is for a month. but make your question more specific on what they did wrong please!
When my teens were younger, grounding was the basic punishment. That means: no going to friends after school, no video games, no DVD or VHS movies and they can't watch TV unless I am watching it.





If the offense was unusual, then I made the punishment fit the crime. Take away the thing that seems to be causing the problem.
Wip'm

No comments:

Post a Comment